CAHPS is here! Percy And Company is an approved CAHPS Vendor. Let us help your organization.
CAHPS is the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems.
CMS, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, has been mandated to establish quality measures for all healthcare services reimbursed by the US government.
Eventually CMS will require virtually all healthcare services in America to perform a CAHPS survey. CMS has aggressively required providers across the country to begin a process of data collection on clinical procedures, best practices, clinical outcomes, costs and patient experience – more widely referred to as ‘Patient Satisfaction’. These last measures are the various CAHPS programs being phased in over time. Ultimately, a consumer will be able to access various Compare websites and choose providers based on a set of objective clinical quality measures.
Furthermore, incentives as well as penalties will be levied on providers based on these quality measures. To ensure a fair, impartial and objective set of measures, CMS has required all CAHPS surveys be conducted:
- By a CMS-Approved Survey Vendor;
- According to a specific and rigorous set of protocols; and,
- All vendors are audited to verify compliance and accuracy.
While CAHPS surveys are being required across all healthcare services, Percy & Company Market Research has chosen to focus on our areas of specialty:
- CAHPS for MIPS and CAHPS for ACO’s: For clinician and group physician practices.
- Hospice CAHPS: Required of hospice providers since January 1, 2015.
We will provide CMS Compliant CAHPS surveys for your clinic or hospice with a level of service, professionalism and oversight unmatched in the industry.
The ONLY comparisons that count are the CMS CAHPS scores!
About Hospice CAHPS
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Service [CMS] has mandated that all hospices with greater than fifty annual discharges perform the Hospice CAHPS Survey to be administered post-death to family caregivers to assess patient and family experiences with the care provided. This survey cannot be performed in-house, hence, hospices must select an approved CMS vendor.
- The Hospice CAHPS Survey process starts in January 2015, beginning with a ‘dry-run test’ followed by national implementation as illustrated below. Surveys will be conducted on a monthly basis.
- CMS is expected to reward high performing hospices and penalize low and non-participating hospices through reimbursement rates from Medicare and Medicaid. If a hospice has 50 or more discharges (deaths) in one year and does not participate, the hospice will be penalized 2% to 4% of gross billings for an entire year.
- The Hospice CAHPS Survey is comprised of 47 standard questions. Results are expected to be posted online for public review and scrutiny. Reimbursement rewards and penalties, though, are based on the results to one question – overall rating of care.
- Hospitals have been performing the Hospital CAHPS Survey for five years. Now CMS has begun requiring other types of medical entities that receive reimbursement from Medicare and Medicaid to begin performing the CAHPS Survey. These include home health agencies, outpatient ambulatory surgery centers, emergency departments and physicians (clinics) among others.
- Hospices with 50 to 699 annual deaths are required to survey a census of patients’ caregivers. Hospices with 700 or more deaths need only survey 60 caregivers per month chosen randomly – though a larger sample is allowed.
- Effective October 17, 2014, Percy & Company Market Research is now an approved Hospice CAHPS Survey vendor, and may now execute contracts with hospice agencies. By choice, Percy & Company chooses the less intrusive direct mail methodology for administration of the Hospice CAHPS Survey. Monthly mailings to patients’ family-member caregivers take place two months following discharge (death) with a re-mail after 21 days to all non-respondents. Results are uploaded to CMS on a quarterly basis.
Some of our satisfied clients...